CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Doctors Without Borders, for its activities in Kumba project area is looking for:
Doctors Without Borders (DWB) is an international non-governmental medical association providing assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We observe neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claim full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of our functions.
Related with our activities we are looking for COUNSELOR EDUCATOR
Working location: MUYUKA, MANYEMEN, KUMBA (only gap filling)
Number of position: 2
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: According to the organisation´s Salary Grid – Level 5
- Perform counseling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health DWB protocols and procedures, in order to improve their pychosocial condition.
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients
- Actively promote the availability of counselling services and carry out, individual or in group counselling, basic psycho educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counselling activities and look after it,
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counsellors, preserving confidentiality
- Inform line manager of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
- Take active part in trainings, supervisions and support the activities manager when necessary in doing sensitization for DWB staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues.
- Develop and implement types and topics MHPSS group activities: Counselling, psycho education, group discussion, trust building, support groups, psycho-stimulation, PFA and trainings to MH beneficiaries with DWB catchment area.
- Work in close collaboration with the MH Focal Points to be able to provide basic and quality counselling (individual/family/group) to the beneficiaries, through an adequate assessment of the patients problems and symptoms, identify needs and develop a care plan based on solutions.
- Support the assessment, management and follow-up (psychosocial intervention) of psychiatric patients, working in close collaboration with the MHFP and psychiatric nurse/doctor.
- Provide specifically counselling to priority cases: SMHD, SVS, psychiatric, suicide risk.
- Provide psychological first aid (individual and group)
- Discuss difficulties and problems in counselling with supervisor.
- Degree/Diploma in Psychiatry, Psychology or Mental Health
- Experience of at least two years in counseling activities essential
- Experience in mental health and or psychiatric care desirable
- Experience with NGO in similar positions desirable
English and Pidgin essential
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Planning and Organizing
- Stress management
- Commitment to DWB principles
- Service orientation
Each position will be mostly based in one DWB supported Health Facility as Presbyterian Hospital Manyemen and District Hospital Muyuka. Please provide in the cover letter information about the location of work the applicant would like to be. Applications with missing information about the location of work will not be considered.
All applications (CV, cover letter, diplomas, working certificates, telephone number, etc.) must be sent by email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning on the subject: MED041121 COUNSELOR EDUCATOR or else be submitted at DWB Office, Westminster suit, Sandpit, Buea, Mile 1 Mamfe or Buea-Road Beside Winners Chapel in Kumba in a sealed envelope Ref: MED041121 COUNSELOR EDUCATOR addressed to Doctors Without Borders - HR Department.
Deadline for the reception of applications: 14th November 2021
NB: No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application documents are non-returnable; please do not submit original documents. Writing tests and interviews will be done in our offices after the selection of the applications.