Call for Applications for the position of STATION ADMINISTRATOR (Nationally Recruited Staff)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
The incumbent will have to generally oversee and organize the functioning of IITA Cameroon administration and support services and ensure that the logistical and administrative support required for research activities is effectively and efficiently provided.
The job covers the following areas: Administration and management of Nationally Recruited Staff; procurement of goods; supervision and monitoring of construction and maintenance of office buildings, laboratories and roads; supervision, monitoring and maintenance of station general equipment, management of budgets, supervision of the information technology unit, liaison with Cameroon Administration; supervision of administrative and management staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead Administrative team
- Implementation IITA-Cameroon administrative and management policies and procedures including the overall IITA policies and procedures, and ensure compliance;
- Assist and advise the Country Representative and scientists in all administrative and management matters;
- Ensure effective maintenance of records on all administrative functions and services at IITA Cameroon Station;
- Coordination and monitoring of all liaison activities;
- Assist the Country Representative in the liaison with Cameroon Government Authorities, diplomatic missions, and international organizations;
- Supervise administrative staff (Personnel and Administrative Assistant, Station Accountant, IT Specialist & Network Administrator, Procurement-Stores & Farm Supervisor, Administrative Secretary, Physical Plant Service (PPS) Supervisor and the Human Resource Assistant) and divide responsibilities to ensure performance.
ICT and Telecommunications
- Oversee the management of IITA Telephone lines;
- Manage IP-PBX Telephone system supervision;
- Follow-up IITA Internet services performance;
- Propose in collaboration with IT Specialist ICT Network Security and servers Innovations.
- Support IITA Country Representative in budget preparation;
- Support IITA Cameroon project leaders in Cost Centre management;
- Responsible for IITA Cameroon cost recovery system. Monitor the recovery of administrative costs from projects, hosted institutions and private users;
- Spearhead an efficient and effective finance-processing schedule for IITA Cameroon office;
- Undertake all financial reporting to Finance Directorate as necessary;
- Lead liaison with IITA on submission of monthly reports and invoices;
- Support the office on audit, financial risk management and fraud prevention issues
- Ensure compliance with financial internal controls, and ensure that transactions are processed, and assets managed in accordance with IITA Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Champion the follow up Audit recommendations and provide quarterly status reports
- Review monthly financial reports and invoices for the office;
- Participate in donor financial report preparation from time to time as requested by HQ and project managers;
- Follow up on proper filing of financial and accounting records for easy retrieval;
- Lead and supervise accounting operations and ensure filing of IITA Cameroon documents in IITA’s financial systems;
- Compile and submit financial reports to the IITA CAH Office in Nairobi or HQ Ibadan;
- Preparation and monitoring of Station administration operating and capital budgets;
- Review all transactions posted to oracle and the Station imprest reports.
Human Resource Management
- Oversee of Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) administration: Contract preparation, staff evaluation and remuneration review, in close collaboration with the Country Representative;
- Ensure proper management of HR information and maintain all staff databases and HR filing system;
- Oversee the day-to-day human resource management, financial and administrative (including staff safety and security) functions of the office;
- Act as liaison and focal person for all HR related matters and ensure compliance with the national labor laws and IITA policy;
- Supervise the recruitment process for Nationally recruited staff for IITA Cameroon Station or for hosted partners;
- Supervise NRS (including annual work plan development and assessment);
- Oversee staff wellbeing and requests in the office, initiate staff teambuilding activities.
- Facilitate the settling and supervise induction/orientation for International Recruited Staff and foreign students;
- Coordinate the process of application for Re-entry Passes/Work Permits, PIN and other documents for International Recruited Staff and foreign students in liaison with IITA Cameroon Station;
- Coordinate staff appraisal process at the station;
- Coordinate periodic general staff meetings;
- Facilitate development of consultant and student contracts as necessary;
- Oversee the preparation and submission of monthly HR/Corporate services reports.
Office Administration, Management and Security
- Oversee general housekeeping of the office;
- Office management: Maintain a hygienic, positive office environment with functional equipment and services for IITA staff;
- Planning and monitoring of infrastructure construction works at IITA Cameroon station
- Represent IITA in security-related meetings;
- Oversee security matters and staff safety at the workplace;
- Coordinate and ensure the station security and evacuations plans are up to date;
- Coordinate implementation of activities identified by the risk management and/or security committee as approved by the Country Representative;
- Support scientists in preparing and in the implementation of IITA Cameroon project field activities;
- Management and maintenance of IITA infrastructure including Land, buildings, equipment, vehicles, and ensuring that health and safety working standards are adhered to at the station;
- Provide oversight on fleet management and indirectly supervise all drivers;
- Review and approve vehicle requests;
- Periodically review vehicle, generator tracking reports against logbook reports and fuel consumption;
- Ensure cost recovery of vehicle use and charge appropriate costs to IITA Cameroon projects;
- Keep custody of vehicle spare keys.
- Assist the Country Representative in liaising with the host country government and follow up on any matters related to the host agreement;
- Represent IITA in meetings with government agencies and departments as requested by the Country Representative;
- Provide guidance to staff and visitors on protocol and immigration-related matters.
Procurement and Asset Management
- Oversee the procurement function (Purchasing, Stores and Shipping) to ensure effectiveness, maintain relevant records and produce monthly reports;
- Provide oversight on the procurement process, import/ export, shipping, reporting and document filing;
- Direct handling of oversea procurement (regular and fast track);
- Prepare and manage contracts and communications with vendors for goods and services required by the office;
- Review bids analysis and purchase orders;
- Oversee the stores and inventory management system;
- Lead IITA Cameroon Asset Management and ensure all assets are sufficiently and adequately insured;
- Approval of local insurance contracts.
Travel and Conference/Workshop management
- Approval of mission orders and travel authorizations for official travels of National Recruited Staff (NRS) and short-term staff (STS);
- Oversee the coordination of international/local conferences, workshops;
- Oversee travel arrangements for IITA staff, collaborators, and visitors (tickets, airport transfers, visas, hotels, etc.);
- Support staff in filing travel claims;
- Establish and manage travel/cash advances systematically in the station, in line with IITA policy, and liaise with Finance Directorate on the processing of claims.
Carrying out any other duties that may be assigned by the Management.
- An MBA (master’s in Business Administration).
- A strong background in Accounting and/or Common Law would be an asset.
- Any other relevant trainings.
- Minimum of seven (07) years working experience as an Administrator in a well-structured organization.
- Must have at least three (03) years’ experience in a similar position.
- The candidate must communicate fluently in both English and French. this will be assessed during the recruitment process.
- Exceptional communication skills both oral and written.
- Keen organization and time management skills.
- Flexibility and agility.
- Adeptness with a wide variety of computer-related tasks.
- Good knowledge and experience in working with Cameroon Government Administration.
The incumbent of the position will be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
The position is limited to Cameroonian citizens.
A nationally competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Equity in employment
IITA encourages applications from women, men, young people who believe they meet the requirements of the position. All applications will be assessed in a fair and objective manner.
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation (maximum of one page; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- copies of all relevant academic diploma and professional certificates;
- a list of 3 professional referees including their contact information; one being the current or most recent employer, unless otherwise advised by candidate with a strong rationale;
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available on https://forms.gle/Gje3P1A6VssBC1U18
Applications should be addressed by email, as an attachment, to IITACA-HRS@cgiar.org, by January 10th, 2022 addressed to:
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 677378472
Application for the position of: Station Administrator
Only applications received in French or English with a completed online form will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.