Call for Applications for the position of a POTATO POST HARVEST (ph) Specialist – Cameroon
IITA Cameroon is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Potato Post-Harvest (PH) Specialist with solid problem-solving skills, ability to work well in a team environment, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision for International Potato Center (CIP).
The International Potato Center (CIP) was founded in 1971 as a research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato and Andean roots and tubers. It delivers innovative science-based solutions to enhance access to affordable nutritious food, foster inclusive sustainable business and employment growth, and drive the climate resilience of root and tuber agri-food systems. Headquartered in Lima, Peru, CIP has a research presence in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
A - Duties
The Potato Post-harvest (PH) Specialist will be responsible for coordinating activities related to post-harvest losses in the North-West, West, and Adamawa regions, Cameroon. The position will be based in Bafoussam with frequent travel to the field.
The Potato PH Specialist will report to the Principal Investigator (PI) of the project based in Yaoundé.
- Conduct a situation analysis of potato post-harvest losses in the country;
- Supervise the construction of low-cost Diffused Light Stores (DLS) for seed storage in the West and Adamawa regions;
- Supervise the construction of low-cost stores for ware potato storage in the Adamawa and West region;
- Carry out management studies of major causes of potato post-harvest losses;
- Organize events for creating awareness on potato post-harvest losses and ways to reduce them;
- Develop training materials and facilitate workshops on good practices to minimize post-harvest losses;
- Co-supervise students and interns in areas of post-harvest management;
- Backstop the multiplication and distribution of newly released varieties;
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with stakeholders, especially seed growers and ware potato producers;
- Write project reports and other publications;
- Develop various communication materials;
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the PI.
B – Qualification
- At least an MSc. degree in Agricultural Sciences, Plant Biology, or any related field;
- At least 6 years of professional experience required in similar positions;
- At least three years of experience in implementing crop/plant-related interventions;
- Technical knowledge of potato agronomy, physiology, and pathology;
- Proven experience in working independently in the field with farmers, farmer groups, and extension workers;
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and carrying out experiments in plant pathology;
- Proven experience in preparation of publications (reports, training manuals, extension documents, etc.);
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Statistical analysis software, Web browsers, Smart-phone applications)
- Fluency in French and good communication skills in English required;
- Willingness to travel frequently and spend considerable time working under field conditions in rural areas of Cameroon.
C – Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improving nutrition and well-being, and gender equity for poor people in roots, tubers farming and food systems in the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in developing countries and supported by more than 50 donor members.
D – What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Cameroon Nationals and permanent residents only who are ready to start the job immediately. The employment contract will be for 11-month term (with a 4-month probation period) and the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
E – How to apply?
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available at https://forms.gle/u2hJUjaZLaNEqiue6
- a detailed curriculum vitae NOT exceeding three pages (written in English);
- a letter of motivation written in French (MAXIMUM of two pages; including the full names of the candidate, his/her full address, phone number, and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- a copy of the highest academic credential (degree); and
- a list of three academic and/or professional referees including their contacts (one of them must be a current or former supervisor of the candidate).
Applications shall be addressed (e-mail attachments ONLY), latest by April 6th, 2022 to:
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Email: IITACA-HRS@cgiar.org with a copy to D.Motchum@cgiar.org
Application to the position of: Potato Post Harvest Specialist, Bafoussam