Call for Applications for the position of AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) INTERN
IITA Cameroon is looking for a professional intern with exceptional customer service skills, solid troubleshooting skills, ability to work well in a team environment, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision.
IITA is a nonprofit institution that generates agriculture innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
This internship offers practical work experience, an introduction to Windows desktop support and an opportunity to gain experience with the technical operations of an international nonprofit organization. This internship will involve challenging opportunities, real technical projects, and interaction with staff. This is a great opportunity to gain additional hands-on experience in the computer field. If you have exceptional customer service skills, are highly dependable and enjoy being the one that everyone comes to for computer technical help, then you are our candidate.
A - Duties
The Information Technology Support intern will provide direct technical assistance and support to IITA staff for network, hardware and software issues. Duties include installing and maintaining computer systems including software and hardware on desktops and laptops, resolving internet and network access issues (both wired and wireless), providing network printer support, meeting with staff to provide one-on-one technical assistance as needed, providing training to staff on software and hardware use, determining causes of computer/software/network malfunctions through evaluation and testing and resolution via modifications, repair, or external support assistance.
- Respond to user requests for service, troubleshoot problems and help develop solutions.
- Support PC hardware components, desktop operating system software, and application software.
- Perform minor repairs to equipment and arrange for other servicing needs.
- Monitor antivirus software and updates and repair computers infected with spyware, adware and/or viruses.
- Monitor backup systems and procedures to ensure data security.
- Record activities, solutions and other responses to request for service.
- Assist in maintaining inventory records and documentation for equipment.
- Assist in contributing to IITA technical documentation and participate in policy, procedure, and standards development.
- Assist in consulting with vendors, perform research and evaluate products to assist in the selection and purchase of equipment and installation or upgrade of systems.
- Assist users in determining appropriate software solutions to meet needs.
- Develop and provide user training for basic hardware and software use.
- Troubleshoot issues with equipment like printers, computers and servers
- Networking (routing/switching), troubleshooting of telecommunications malfunction equipment, multiplexors, maintenance and network.
- Provide backup technical support for network including router, and wireless access point.
- Maintains open communication and positive working relationship with staff.
- Does routine cleaning of computer systems with proper tools available (printers, antiviruses, keyboards, CPU internals, phone sets etc.)
- Setup presentation equipment for audio / visual conferences as well as set computers.
- Assist in ensuring appropriate connectivity of TV presentations in the conference and board rooms.
- Set up the PSTN (Public Switch Telephone Network).
- Assist in searching hosting options and report pricing and system options
- Assist in searching unusual bugs or issues the institution encounters
- Rapidly establish a good working relationship with customers and other professionals
- Play an acting role in place of the IT specialist during absence and when deemed necessary.
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
B – Qualification
- Must have completed a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- May be pursuing a graduate level degree in a computer related field
- The incumbent must have a minimum of six months of work/internship experience with computer desktop support in a networked environment for a small to medium sized organization.
- The incumbent must be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency in computer applications: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Conducting research via internet
- An understanding of computer network cabling and network file and print services
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems
- Ability to prioritize tasks/workload and efficiently manage time
- Awareness of the PC hardware components, desktop operating system software, and application software
- Experience supporting recent versions of Microsoft Office Applications
- Experience with networking technologies and printer support
- Ability to perform tasks such as operating systems and application software installations and upgrades, as well as virus protection and eradication
- Ability to research and understand technical documentation, and an understanding of how to apply various technical resources
- Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high performing team
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English and French
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Demonstrate a keen interest in computer-based information systems and technology
- Possession of excellent analytical skills
- Excellent listening and questioning skills, combined with the ability to interact confidently with clients to establish what the problem is and explain the solution
- Ability to stick to strict deadlines
C - Key Competences
- Experience installing and uninstalling programs within a Windows operating system.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows architecture, of customer service and working team concepts.
- Desktop operating systems, various software applications and basic hardware for the PC; principles and theories of network systems and management; Internet technologies and products.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Familiar or will demonstrate an interest on a quick learning of the following:
- MS Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 or above
- Skype, Teams, Zoom, GoTo Meeting or similar
- Firewalls and Network Security
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365/2016 and MS Outlook applications, including SharePoint and Teams.
- OneDrive / OneDrive for Business or Other Cloud Storage medias.
D - Workplace
The incumbent of the position will be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
E – Working hours
The incumbent must be available to work 40 hours per week with flexible hours.
F – Duration of internship
The internship will be for a period of 3 (three) months.
G – Restriction
The position is limited to Cameroonian citizens;
H - Equity in employment
IITA encourages applications from women, men, young people who believe they meet the requirements of the position. All applications will be assessed in a fair and objective manner.
I – Application folder
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation (maximum of one page; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- copies of all relevant academic diploma and professional certificates;
- a list of three referees including their contacts and position, and relationship with the candidate (supervisory role would be an asset).
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available at https://forms.gle/GLd2Xxxs25nFNcXN8
Applications shall be addressed (e-mail attachments ONLY), latest by June 05th, 2022:
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Application for the position of: IT Intern
Only applications received in French or English will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.