Call for Applications for the position of DRIVER – BAFOUSSAM, Cameroon
IITA Cameroon is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced driver with solid problem-solving skills, ability to work well in a team environment, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision for International Potato Center (CIP).
The International Potato Center (CIP) was founded in 1971 as a research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato and Andean roots and tubers. It delivers innovative science-based solutions to enhance access to affordable nutritious food, foster inclusive sustainable business and employment growth, and drive the climate resilience of root and tuber agri-food systems. Headquartered in Lima, Peru, CIP has a research presence in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
A - Duties
The Driver will be based in Bafoussam, Cameroon, and report to the Administration and Finance Analyst, and the PPS Supervisor of IITA Cameroon.
- Transporting of staff or collaborative partners, respecting safe driving rules.
- Delivery or pickup of materials.
- Pick up visiting guests at the airport.
- Delivers letters and parcels, as assigned by supervisor,
- Daily maintenance and inspection of vehicle for levels of fuel, oil and water, documenting maintenance every morning.
- Washes and thoroughly cleans vehicles externally and internally every morning and upon return from field, immediately after field trips.
- Weekly fumigation of vehicles for insects.
- Loads and unloads vehicle when transporting goods or equipment.
- Secures and maintains all vehicle equipment checklist and notifies supervisor immediately of any missing materials.
- Maintains vehicle log books (including purpose of each trip, km start/finish, fuel purchased, mechanical problems, and passenger's names).
- Reports all break downs or any abnormality in vehicles in the vehicles log book.
- Follow up vehicle spare part purchase and repairs in designated garage
- Ensures vehicle is locked and safely parked when outside project office, either in town or on field trips.
- Secures keys to the vehicle and ensures no unauthorized persons have access to or drive the vehicle.
- Ensures that no one sleeps in the vehicle except in locations where no alternative accommodation is available.
- Drivers will not carry paying passengers. Paying passengers are not covered by insurance and this is a risk for carjacking, particularly on return trips when dropping visitors at the airport.
- Weekly check with site supervisor to receive assignments for the coming week.
- Must be flexible to work with the schedule of staff or visitors traveling at off hours.
- Comply with all SOPs and internal regulations/ policies implemented in the IITA-Cameroon and CIP Cameroon office.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the Manager and Project Lead Team.
B – Qualification
- Valid driver’s license Category B
- The candidate should have at least a GCE Ordinary level or BEPC.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a professional driver
- Proven experience working in rural areas in the West Region of Cameroon
- Good mastery of rural uncharted roads while working in agricultural or development projects in the West Region of Cameroon
- Good skills in driving on highways and unpaved road in rural areas
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Fluency in French and a good communication skill in English required.
C – Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improving nutrition and well-being, and gender equity for poor people in roots, tubers farming and food systems in the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in developing countries and supported by more than 50 donor members.
D – What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Cameroon Nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a 01-month probation period) and the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
E – How to apply?
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available on https://forms.gle/QNF3sVKxUgDXJYNv9
- a detailed curriculum vitae but NOT exceeding three pages;
- a letter of motivation (MAXIMUM of two pages; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- a copy of the highest academic credential (degree);
- a copy of driver’s license; and
- a list of three professional referees including their contacts (one of them must be a current or former supervisor of the candidate).
Applications shall be addressed (e-mail attachments ONLY), latest by October 02, 2021 to:
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Email: IITACA-HRS@cgiar.org with a copy to D.Motchum@cgiar.org
Application to the position of: CIP Driver – Bafoussam, Cameroon
In addition to your application folder sent by email, kindly fill the mandatory form available on https://forms.gle/QNF3sVKxUgDXJYNv9
Only applications received in French or in English from candidates who have filled the online form will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.