INSO Operations Manager
Cameroon- National Position
Closing date: 17th November 2021
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 17 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for its performance, principles and professionalism.
As of April 2019, INSO is registered as a charity in the Netherlands with its global headquarters now based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO has been covering the Far North region of the country under INSO’s Lake Chad Basin regional platform that supports more than 121 NGOs to deliver vital aid and assistance to 8 million people across the region. INSO Cameroon will now become a stand-alone platform and continue to cover the Far North region from Maroua and extend the operation to the north-west and south-west regions with a field office in Buea and the country office in Yaounde.
INSO is now seeking a National experienced professional to join our team as Operations Manager for Cameroon.
Reporting to the Country Director, and under the technical supervision of INSO’s Director of Operations and the HR Director, the Operations Manager (OM) will be responsible for the successful delivery of all Operations functions within the country office. The OM Cameroon will be supported by one operations Officer and one operation Assistant.
In addition to managing the country office’s transactional and strategic HR tasks, the OM is also expected to ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed on behalf of INSO with the national authorities in a timely manner. The OM will also manage the entire scope of facilities and asset management tasks for the relevant INSO country office, ensuring the effective provision of function and support services, compliance with INSO’s and donor’s regulations, and effective maintenance and management of its assets including management of drivers, cleaners and other support staff. They will also prepare and manage country office procurements complying in full of INSO's procurement procedures and budgetary requirements in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
The OM will also act as the Country Office’s safety and security focal point, serving as the primary point of contact for internal safety and security matters, overseeing communications, transport, site security and guard-force.
- Under the technical supervision and guidance of the INSO HR Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the timely management of all in-country recruitment processes, local and international, ensuring that they are fully compliant with INSO guidance and procedures.
- Lead the implementation and monitoring of all INSO personnel and HR regulations (national and international) to ensure country office compliance and regularly monitor national employment law, suggesting modifications to internal rules to the Country Director and HR Director where appropriate
- Lead and coordinate national employee on-boarding and coordinate with HQ HR on international employee onboarding, providing in-country employee induction and orientation programmes (national and international)
- Coordinate and monitor national employee performance monitoring, grievance management and discipline, escalating issues where appropriate to the Country Director and HR Director
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date employee (national & international) leave records and monitor the proper use of leave by staff in the country office
- Prepare the national staff monthly payroll and control timesheets and any tax payments/deductions and maintain national staff insurance enrolments/medical payments for country office staff as required under statute
- Provide support to internal and external audit requests in the field of HR, coordinating with HQ as appropriate.
- Act as the in-country project management focal point for all HR (and other Operations area) projects and be the focal point for all HR queries from staff or management at the HQ or in the Country Office
- Regularly maintain country office personnel files (national and international).
- Support HQ in gathering and monitoring of relevant KPIs and other HR management and performance related data.
Legal and Compliance
- Ensure all necessary legal and regulatory documents are filed in a timely manner on behalf of INSO with the relevant national authorities in order to maintain INSO’s formal in-country registration.
- Develop and oversee control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies, evaluating the efficiency of controls and improving them continuously, suggesting revisions to procedures, reports etc. periodically to identify hidden risks or non-conformity issues
- Obtain visas, work permits and residencies as required on behalf of INSO staff.
- Coordinate with HQ HRM on all deployment/visits of international staff (flights, visa, accommodation).
- Monitor compliance with national tax codes and ensure timely compliance with local statutory reporting requirements.
- Maintain a register of in-country professional advisors;
Facilities and Asset Management
- Manage the entire scope of facilities management tasks for the INSO country office, ensuring the effective provision of function and support services
- Prepare and maintain all of the country office’s leases and contracts with suppliers (offices, utilities, vehicles, security etc.).
- Equip and maintain all staff facilities and vehicles to the required standard.
- Establish and regularly maintain a central asset register for the country office and ensure full implementation of and compliance with all asset management regulations.
- Functions as overall Office Manger ensuring smoothing functioning of offices in terms of services, supplies and consumables.
Procurement and Logistics
- Implement and fully comply with all Procurement and Logistics regulations applicable for INSO and its donors in the country office and ensure all staff are aware of their roles and responsibilities with regards to procurement.
- Oversee full implementation of procurement processes as outlined in INSO’s internal regulations and operating procedures.
- Enforce all controls to prevent fraud and corruption.
- Maintain up to date and accurate procurement files in full compliance with INSO policy
- Manage and maintain contractual agreements and relationships with vendors/contractors and all service providers.
- Carry out regular local market surveys for goods and services and ensure the Supplier/Vendor List and other databases are kept up-to date.
- Oversee INSO vehicle management by coordinating needs with the Country Director.
- Contribute to donor reporting in area of asset management/logistics/procurement.
- Lead audit follow up in area of logistics/procurement.
Safety and Security
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Global Safety Manager regarding the progress, tracking and reporting of security audit findings and recommendations.
- In coordination with the Global Safety Manager, ensure that deadlines for updates of the Country Security Plan (CSP)/Field Office Security Plan (FOSP) and Security Risk Assessment (SRA) are met.
- Plan, coordinate, and deliver monthly awareness briefings in line with monthly safety and security audit theme.
- Ensure appropriate steps are taken towards safeguarding INSO facilities, vehicles and assets in accordance with INSO’s safety and security policies and regulations.
- Responsible for briefing drivers and guards on country safety and security policies.
- As part of their onboarding, orient and train new staff on the Country Security Management Plan, including safety and security roles and responsibilities.
- Serve as the focal point for visiting staff, ensuring pre-departure information packages and conducting on arrival briefings as requested.
- Fluency in French and English (written and spoken).
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a recognised academic institution.
- At least 5 years of progressive professional Operations experience, at least 2 of which should be with an NGO or international organisation.
- Highly self-motivated, a problem solver, solution focused and a strategic thinker with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work to set deadlines
- Proficient use of MS Office programmes and experience with database management
- Previous experience or knowledge with logistics and procurement.
- General knowledge of donor procurement regulations.
- Existing knowledge of INSO and affinity with its mission an asset.
- Experience as a user or admin of HRMS
Key Personal Competencies
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A people manager
Terms & Conditions: This is a National Position; therefore, terms and conditions will be inline with National labour law as well as INSO Cameroon National Staff Internal Rules and regulations.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
- All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
- INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
- All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card).
- All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.).
- All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com and reference "Ops Manager-CMR" in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (2-page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.